Why would you want to work eight hours a day with people who did not show you respect? You wouldn’t, yet this is the case for many people in the workforce today.
Lack of respect in the workplace happens more than we would like to think. Often times the lack of respect shown by employees to one another is due to the fact that they are not shown respect by the management personnel. Business owners and management staff need to lead by example and respect should be at the top of the list.
In the workplace when leadership shows respect in the following ways, it promotes employees to show respect for each other also:
1. Respect employee’s personal lives and lifestyles.
2. Listening to each other fully. Considering others ideas and encouraging everyone’s input.
3. Lend a helping hand and show support for each other’s job tasks. It takes a team to get all of the work done.
4. Make sure employees are compensated accordingly for the work they do. You show that you respect their value to the company.
5. Let employees know that how their performance is valued by you and the company. Give praise when earned and a thank you everyday.
These five points may seem like “no brainers” but it is amazing how many employees say that these do not happen in their workplace.
Showing lack of respect on any level in the workplace should be addressed immediately and have consequences.When respect is not shown for one another, the workplace can quickly become toxic and the clean up can hazardous to ones health.
"Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners." ~ Laurence Sterne