Each year we will go through a tough stretch or two or even three. Things might be going well and all of a sudden, boom, something falls from the sky and hits us like a ton of bricks. It might be an illness to ourselves or a family member, maybe a business audit, or a key staff member leaving your practice.
In my new book, “The Podiatry
Practice Business Solution,” I briefly discuss this topic of when things aren’t going as well as you like, when you get hit with a stink bomb, the first thing you should ask yourself is, “What is good about this?” No matter what happens, there is always a bright side. It might be hard to think about what could be great about a negative situation, but trust me, if you dig deep down, you can find something good.
Epictetus said, “Whenever you find yourself blaming providence, turn it around in your mind and you will see that what has happened is in keeping with reason.” In times of turbulence, such as what we are presently going through, we might not see the good in what is going on, but just take the time to dig really deep and you will find that what is happening may make some sense.
What can be good about the Coronavirus? Nothing is good about the virus, but what can be good about staying home, practicing social distancing or even having a slow period in your practice? Here are some of the possibilities:
- Slow down. This could be the sign you need. Spend time with your loved ones and strengthen relationships. Don’t worry about what you can’t control. Live in the moment and make the best of everything.
- Catch up on your reading, especially something that will give you a good feeling.
- Take the time to get your protocols done and put plans together that will help make your business stronger. What areas in your practice need improvement? Where are your strengths and weaknesses? Put a plan together and make this happen.
- It is also a great time to train your staff in areas they need help in, or maybe even cross-train them.
- What about your marketing? Use this time to make videos for your website.
- Look at your list and see things you are putting off. You might have the time now.
- Call patients that you haven’t seen in a while, just to see how they are doing. The purpose of the call is really not to make an appointment, it is to touch base with them. You will probably make a few appointments, but it is just about relationship building.
Always stay positive. Things happen for a reason. Don’t give up on your 2020 goals. Be grateful for what you have and make the best of the situation.
“Run to the rescue, with love and peace will follow.” River Phoenix